The ENERGY CATALYST, an ‘Innovate UK’ grant, supports both businesses and research organisations, including academia, that are UK based or are moving there to respond to challenges across the energy sector. It will fund projects delivering innovative solutions that address ALL the elements of the energy trilemma namely:
- Reducing Emissions
- Improving Security of supply
It will help stimulate and support innovation at all stages through to commercial readiness. Thus The Energy Catalyst can fund projects from early concept stage through to pre-commercial technology validation, based upon innovation that incorporates, for example:
- new technologies
- enhancement or alternative applications of existing technologies
- development of components, sub-systems or systems
- integrated whole-system approaches
- enabling technologies for the energy system
Eligibility: This document describes grants for Early Stage Technical Feasibility studies. Early-stage projects must be led by an SME either working alone or collaboratively OR by a research organisation collaborating with a business (any size).
Funding available: Total project costs can be between £50k- £200k for early-stage awards. SMEs will receive 70% funding if small or micro companies and medium companies 60%. Collaborating large companies may receive 50% funding of eligible costs.
Opening This award follows a single-stage application process. It opened on 4 April 2016
Application deadline: Applicants must first register via the Innovate UK website by noon 7 September 2016. The deadline for applications is noon 14 September 2016.
Timeline: Applicants will be notified if successful on the 28th October 2016 by email.
Details: Early-stage awards will fund projects that explore and evaluate the technical potential of an early-stage innovative idea or concept through technical feasibility studies. The project will aim to establish if a pre-industrial concept is ready for further technology development.
Projects may last upto 12 months
Scope: Indicative examples of technology areas that are within the scope of the Energy Catalyst include, but are not limited to, those listed below:
- carbon abatement: minimising environmental impact of fossil fuels and their associated applications to improve efficiency and reduce emissions. Includes carbon capture, transport, utilisation and storage for large-scale power and industrial CO2 emitters
- renewable energy: wind, wave, tidal, solar (pv, thermal and concentrated), biomass, geothermal, heat pumps, energy from waste
- nuclear fission: front-end fuel cycle, plant construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance. Waste management and decommissioning
- hydrogen and fuel cells: hydrogen production, transport and storage. Fuel cells for stationary and other applications (e.g., portable power) NB excludes technology development focused solely or predominantly on transport propulsion applications
- energy networks and system integration: electricity and heat networks. Technologies for energy transmission, distribution and storage and the integration of systems to deploy low carbon energy. Includes smart grids, power electronics, storage technologies and waste heat
- demand-side technologies: technology development to reduce and/or manage energy demand at scale. Includes energy efficiency measures for the end user including industrial energy efficiency
- enabling technologies and processes: includes ICT, high value manufacturing, robotics, advanced materials, sensors, control systems, virtual technologies, modelling and simulation
- open theme: technologies where applicants are confident they meet the scope but which are not specifically covered by the above categories (e.g. energy harvesting).
Conditions: There are a limited number of areas where the Energy Catalyst will not fund projects currently, we are happy to advise on scope and general eligibility.
To discuss this grant and how we can help maximise your chances of success, save you time and get the biggest possible grant please complete the enquiry form and a relevant consultant will contact you within 24 hours